Post Hair Transplant Care for Long-Lasting Healthy Hair
The newly transplanted hair is similar to skin after exfoliation - it's very fragile and requires special care in the early stages to ensure healthy hair root growth. Therefore, we will introduce tips for hair transplant aftercare, divided into two periods.
Jirayu Jatechayanon MBChB
March 30, 2021
Post-surgical hair transplantation care within the first month
1. For those who have recently undergone a surgical hair transplant procedure, it is recommended to lie down with your head and upper torso elevated at least 45 degrees for 24 hours. The degree may be slightly lowered, but should still be maintained until the end of 72 hours to prevent edema around the forehead and eyes that may occur after the surgery.
2. After hair transplantation, it is important to avoid hitting or bumping your head as much as possible. The doctor typically recommends avoiding activities such as jumping or walking hard on your heels. Additionally, keeping your fingernails short is advised to prevent scratching, which can damage or remove hair grafts.
3. It is recommended to refrain from exercising for at least 3-5 days after hair transplantation. During this time, it’s better to engage in light activities, such as gently swinging your arms. After the first week, you can begin with light exercises, such as stretching, and gradually increase the intensity over time. If there are no complications, you should be able to resume your normal exercise routine starting from the third week.
4. You can wash your hair with shampoo products after 2 – 3 days of hair transplantation. However, it’s recommended to mix the shampoo with water and use the solution to wash your hair, or to use a sponge and gently squeeze it to release the shampoo over the transplanted hair area. Your doctor will likely suggest doing this twice a day.
5. Try to maintain a balanced diet and drink enough water after undergoing a hair transplant. It is also recommended to avoid alcohol drinks for the first 2-4 weeks.
6. Avoid excessive sunlight and pollution as much as possible after hair transplantation. Additionally, it’s advised to refrain from sauna or swimming for about 1 month.
7. After a hair transplant, it is important to avoid dyeing, bleaching, or curling your hair for at least 1 month. If necessary, you can get a haircut at a barber as usual starting from the second week.
Post-surgical hair transplantation care for long run
After one month of hair transplantation, you can keep your hair healthy using the same methods as for general hair care, which include:
1. Clean your hair properly based on your hair and scalp condition. If you have normal hair and scalp, wash your hair 1-2 times a week with a gentle, non-irritating shampoo. If you have an oily scalp or engage in routine activities such as exercising, playing sports, or living in an environment with regular exposure to dust, chemicals, or bleaching, it is recommended to wash your hair every day using a shampoo product that is designed for frequent washing.
2. After washing your hair, always use a towel to dry it. Avoid letting your hair air dry to prevent moisture buildup. The best way to dry your hair is to gently pat and dab your hair with a towel, avoiding pulling or vigorously rubbing your scalp. Additionally, avoid brushing your hair while it is still wet, as this can cause split ends, hair brittle, and increase the likelihood of hair loss. Another option is to use a non-heat hair dryer and a wide-toothed comb to gently brush your hair. This can help prevent traction or abrasion of the outer layer of hair, which can cause damage to your hair’s protective barrier. It is recommended to invest in a high-quality hairbrush and avoid using a brush with hard bristles. Properly brushing your hair not only enhances its appearance but also helps distribute hair oil evenly, resulting in soft and shiny hair.
3. Avoid subjecting your hair to high-heat drying, perming, chemical bleaching, and prolonged exposure to sunlight. These can damage your hair, causing it to become dry and brittle.
4. Avoid pulling your hair tightly or choosing hairstyles that put too much pressure on your hair roots. Instead, go for loose hairstyles that allow your hair to move freely without tight constraints, to prevent hair loss.
5. Always clean all tools and equipment used for hair care and styling after each use, and avoid sharing them with others.
6. Don’t forget to wear a swimming cap to protect your hair while swimming.
7. If you experience any hair or scalp problems, consult a doctor immediately. Don’t wait until they become difficult to resolve. In addition, taking care of your general health, such as keeping a balanced diet, regular exercise, and keeping your mind clear, can help maintain healthy hair in the long run.
Free medical consultation on your hair problem here!